Make a Difference 2013
...And the Award Goes To...
- Aspiring to attend Florida Southern College and major in marketing, Danielle is involved in multiple extracurricular activities, including the Harvest Ministries Church Nursery. She has volunteered within this organization since 2011.
- Andrea has been an active Key Club member. Under her leadership as Key Club president, the amount raised for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society through Pasta for Pennies amounted to $2,000.00.
- Contributing over 230 hours of community service, Glenn volunteers every week of the year cleaning the litter from the street in an attempt to maintain a healthier environment. He is also a Special Olympics counselor.
- Since 2003, Cecelia can be found on Ft. Myers Beach each Thanksgiving Day. She is not basking in the sun. Rather, she is serving meals to homeless or underprivileged people. This selfless act makes her a Make a Difference winner.
- Founder of “Do Something!,” Zair took the initiative to change the community. Rather than volunteering at events to make a difference, Zair created the events that changed lives. One of his many accomplishments included the “Teens for Jeans” drive. Fifty-five pairs of jeans were collected for local homeless teenagers.
- At a young age, Colleen was instilled with the value of helping others. Her birthdays would not mean receiving gifts. Instead, she requested canned-goods, baby food, and diapers for the Salvation Army, Harry Chapin food bank, and the Crisis Pregnancy center.
- Not only does Jade actively participate in multiple charities, she is also an advocate for volunteerism. She created a charity event for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation that included a teachers v. students volleyball game. Jade recruited her peers to assist in organizing the charity.
- A member of the National Junior Honor Society, Elizabeth has taken advantage of the limitless opportunity to make a difference in her community. She participated at Meals of Hope, an organization to end hunger, and Echo Farms, a global farm in Ft. Myers that teaches students to grow their own crops to help feed those in third- world countries.
- During the summer, Shreeya helps the Children with Diabetes conference at their Sports central room, ensuring the participants are safe and hydrated. She also volunteers at a multitude of school events like her school’s annual Veteran’s Day Ceremony. Her dedication makes Shreeya a Make a Difference Winner.
- Shanjida was the president of the Builders Club. She made Easter Baskets for senior citizens and has raised over $2,000.00 to donate towards research for Autism.
- Kelsi volunteered at her local daycare. Offering support and encouragement to these children allowed the teachers of the daycare to have much needed time to plan.
- Nicole has continued to put others before herself. She spends much of her time helping children with Muscular Dystrophy. Her goal is to become a physical therapist working with special needs children.
- Gianna spends three days per week heading the volunteer program for a local volleyball camp. She strives to teach others about dedication, teamwork, and fitness.